La MaMa Blogs: 6 QUESTIONS: Brigham Mosley

Friday, October 4, 2013

6 QUESTIONS: Brigham Mosley


Writer and performer Brigham Mosley's solo show, SCARLETT O’HARA AND THE WAR ON TARA will be presented as part of La MaMa's new platform for unconventional solo performances, A Series of One, on Sunday, October 13, 2013 at 5:30pm at The Club at La MaMa. Brigham talks to us about the show and his work.

1. What was the initial inspiration for this project?

Actually the title came first, about a year ago - I knew the show would have something to do with my relationship/discomfort with NYC and the guilt associated with leaving my family to move here (and knowing that, as a gay person, moving back to my rural Oklahoma community probably will never happen). Tara is destroyed. Atlanta is sieged. WHERE DO YOU GO?!?!? Also hoop skirts.

2. What was the most challenging element in making this show?

It's actually sort of all come together in a really organic way - playing Scarlett (probably my favorite literary character ever written) just sort of opens you up to being terrible and outspoken and to never apologize for yourself. Scarlett is like this lovable monster and she just hates EVERYONE but somehow you root for her and completely identify with her. It's been so freeing to tap into that.




3. Do you think of your work at political?

You know, I don't. I think other people might - I think if you're a gay artist people think that your work is automatically political. I just write about my experiences and the things I see. I try to critique my community or culture I see as dangerous but rarely do I offer answers - questions are always more important.

4. How would you describe your aesthetic?

I believe in sentimentality and sincerity - I think irony and cynicism and this sort of let's-just-all-get-together-and-feel-smart-and-catch-the-inside-jokes-and-be-totally-removed theatre I keep seeing is so deadly. I worry about our emotional lives because it seems like the goal of everything is to just have this jaded, knowing distance. I want to make spectacle and be ugly and bold and funny and DRAMATIC! I want theatrical theatre - to be performative and tacky and celebratory - all that good stuff! The goal is to be the boy Dolly Parton.

5. Who has inspired you?

Tim Miller, Taylor Mac, Charles Ludlam, Sarah Ruhl, Young Jean Lee, Erin Markey - give me metaphors and collage and PERFORMANCE! Theatrical theatre-makers, the lot of 'em! 

6. What does working at La MaMa mean to you? 

It's a dream - truly. I learned about La MaMa when I was 18 years old in undergrad and I knew this is the sort of work I wanted to make. It feels big and wonderful.



La MaMa ETC presents

Brigham Mosley's
SCARLETT O’HARA 
AND THE WAR ON TARA

Part of A SERIES OF ONE


Sunday, October 13th @ 5:30pm


Tickets are $15 for adults; $10 for students and seniors; a limited number of $10 tickets are available (to anyone) as part of La MaMa's 10 @ $10 initiative.

For Tickets and Info: Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment