La MaMa Blogs: 6 Questions: Grant Neale

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

6 Questions: Grant Neale


This month we are playing 6 Questions with the cast of Charles Ludlam's CONQUEST OF THE UNIVERSE OR WHEN QUEENS COLLIDEConquest of the Universe is directed by Everett Quinton and runs from November 2 - 19, 2017 in the Ellen Stewart Theatre.  First up is Grant Neale:


1. Who do you play in CONQUEST OF THE UNIVERSE?

I play Tamberlaine (President of Earth), something I have always wanted to be :)

2) Why do you think the play is still important/relevant today?

This play is spot on to our current political circumstances. It is also refreshingly incorrect, impolite, subversive in a way that modern audiences don't get much of. It is above modern notions "good" and "correct" instead it is honest, and biting about certain aspects of human behavior, and oh yes, Funny. The people who get to see this are in for a treat!

3) What does Ridiculous Theatre mean to you?

Ridiculous has had and still has a huge impact on my personal and professional life! Since I first joined the Ridiculous in 1992 playing Lech Fabrinski in the late great Georg Osterman's BROTHER TRUCKERS my creative views have been expanding. Joining Ridiculous Theatrical Company gave me the opportunity to bend into the largeness of my acting while most styles were asking me to dial it down and become small as an actor. Embarrassing the size of the style while remaining emotionally truthful and present in the moment is a wonderful challenge and feels so good to share with an audience! My experience with RTC has also permanently changed views on casting. At the Ridiculous casting "type" has more to do with the inside of the actor than with their outward appearance. The Ridiculous has also been quite expansive for me socially. Being a member of the company helped me be more open in my heart and mind about sexual and gender identity.

4) Do you have a “dream role” or a favorite role you've played? 

I have been lucky to play many "dream roles" including the Nicodemus/Lady Enid track in Charles Ludlam's THE MYSTERY OF IRMA VEP, Romamn Polanski in Saviana Stanescu's POLANSKI POLANSKI, and Fool in my brother Randy Neale's wonderful two hander THE FOOL'S LEAR. I am very much looking forward to playing Mr. Smee (of "Peter Pan" fame in the short film 'TSMEE!

5) What is the last good book/play/film/art exhibit you’ve seen?

I really love John Robert Tillotson's solo show Resdiual Effects (of course I am completely bios as I directed the piece. The Irving Penn exhibit at the Met Museum was so inspiring! And I loved reading "All The Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr!

6) What does working at La MaMa mean to you?

I've had the pleasure of working at La MaMa several times over the years as an actor, director, and producer. What I have found is that unlike some theatrical institutions that seem to ask "What is your show going to do for us?" "How is your show going to be the sexiest thing to hit the theatrical world in recent memory?" La MaMa seems to ask "What can we do to help you bring your show to life?"

_____


La MaMa presents

CONQUEST 
OF THE 
UNIVERSE 
OR 
WHEN 
QUEENS 
COLLIDE

by Charles Ludlam
directed by Everett Quinton

November 2-19, 2017
Thursday - Saturday at 8pm; Sunday at 4pm; special performance Monday November 6th at 8pm

Ellen Stewart Theatre 
66 East 4th Street
(between Bowery and Second Avenue)
New York, NY 10003

Tickets: $30 Adults; $25 Students/Seniors: 10@$10 Tickets available

For Tickets and Info: CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment