La MaMa Blogs: 6 Questions: Brian Belovitch

Monday, October 16, 2017

6 Questions: Brian Belovitch



We continue our 6 Questions with the cast of Charles Ludlam's CONQUEST OF THE UNIVERSE OR WHEN QUEENS COLLIDE with Brian Belovitch.

CONQUEST OF THE UNIVERSE plays The Ellen Stewart Theatre from November 2 - 19, 2017.  Everett Quinton directs this 50th Anniversary production of this early Ludlam epic comedy.


1. Who do you play in CONQUEST OF THE UNIVERSE?
I play Alice, First Lady of the Earth.

2. Why do you think the play is still important/relevant today?
The Ridiculous theatre is important for many reasons not only for its obvious historical relevance but for it's incredible, creative and theatrical accomplishments. It has inspired generations of talented artists and was an often overlooked early pioneer in the pre-Stonewall gay rights movement. The vast collection of plays written by Charles Ludlam are infused with biting and often hysterical social commentary that is still relevant today. Conquest of the Universe or When Queens Collide is a perfect example of what is happening today politically in the world some 50 years later. Also, the bravery and brilliant artistic vision that began in the 60's when there were no gay rights when you could be arrested as a gay person speaks volumes about the intrepid spirit of the early founders. Charles acting in drag was a hugely political act that took incredible bravery to be who you were at a time when the world was in such cultural and political turmoil.

3. What does Ridiculous Theatre mean to you?
I was an 18-year-old gender non-conforming teen when I saw my first Ridiculous play, Camille. I also had an excruciating toothache and almost stayed home but my friend begged me to go. From the moment Charles made his entrance the laughter became the best painkiller I could have taken. I completely forgot about my toothache. Coming from a small city I hadn't been exposed to much theater but I knew early on I wanted to act. Little did I know when I walked into that little theatre that it would have such a profound effect on me. Not only were men playing women's roles as was Charles as Camille, but there was such an unapologetic free spirit from the actors that made me feel like I wasn't alone in my queerness. It gave me tremendous hope that there was a place for me in the theatre and I've always been grateful for that early inspiration.

4. Do you have a “dream role” or a favorite role you've played?
A dream role for me would be a musical version of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane starring me as Baby Jane Hudson! A girl can dream.

5. What is the last good book/play/film/art exhibit you’ve seen?
The last play I saw was Charm over at the Lucille Lortel theatre, it was based on a true to life story about a transgender woman who ran a charm school for LGBTQ kids on the fringes of Chicago. It was timely, extremely well written with a beautifully talented and diverse ensemble of LGBT actors. I also was at the reading at La MaMa legend and superstar Jackie Curtis's Guts, Glamor, and Gold which was a religious experience

6. What does working at La MaMa mean to you?
I've appeared in several La MaMa productions over the years, my first was John Epperson's, (Lypsinka) Ballet of The Dolls. I also did Anthony Ingrassia's last play Sweet Dreams so for me it holds a very magical space in my heart. I'mover the moon to be returning to the stage at La MaMa after a long absence with the legendary Ridiculous Theatre and acting with and directed again by the divine Everett Quinton.


_____

La MaMa presents

CONQUEST 
OF THE 
UNIVERSE 
OR 
WHEN 
QUEENS 
COLLIDE

by Charles Ludlam
directed by Everett Quinton

November 2-19, 2017
Thursday - Saturday at 8pm; Sunday at 4pm; special performance Monday November 6th at 8pm

Ellen Stewart Theatre 
66 East 4th Street
(between Bowery and Second Avenue)
New York, NY 10003

Tickets: $30 Adults; $25 Students/Seniors: 10@$10 Tickets available

For Tickets and Info: CLICK HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment