La MaMa Blogs: 6 Questions: Eimi Imanishi

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

6 Questions: Eimi Imanishi



1.) How did you get involved with Sean and Lilac Co.?
Funnily enough I met Sean on ArtCube when I responded to an ad he had posted there for an assistant director. Turns out we have a mutual friend who had seen a previous Magic Agency Chapter and because they had loved the show and because I was curious to experience a theatre production (I come from film primarily), I decided to work on this show. 

2.) What have you learned through working on this piece?
Theatre is so different from film!  In some ways it is easier, and in some ways harder. I am a writer/director in the film medium and have enjoyed learning about the different elements in directing actors for the stage. Acting on stage is much more physical and fearless. There isn't the safety of 'try it different ways and edit it in post' that film has. 

3.) Who has influenced your work?
I am influenced by Claire Denis, Yasujirō Ozu, Ciro Guerra, Bahram Beyzai, Marc Camille Chaimowicz, Henri Rousseau,  and recently Tala Madani. 

4.) If you weren't working in theatre, what do you think you'd like to do?
I normally don't work in theatre, but I think I'd like to find more opportunities to do so.

5.) What was the last good book you read?
non-fiction: Akira Kurosawa's autobiography.  fiction: Lynne Tillman's Motion Sickness.

6.) What does working at La MaMa mean to you?
Well, one can't help but feel a little special to be a part of such an establishment.  But aside, I have spent a few days here now setting up and rehearsing, and really love the atmosphere of the place.  The administrators and technicians here remind me of the tutors and technicians I had at art school in London - creative problem solvers, people who think outside the box, whose actions are political and non capitalistic. 



January 31 - February 03, 2019
Downstairs | 66 East 4th Street

$25 Tickets; $20 Student/Senior Tickets [+$1 Facility Fee]Run Time: 55 Minutes (No Intermission)

For Tickets Click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment