La MaMa Blogs: 6 Questions: Kotoba Dan

Thursday, March 1, 2018

6 Questions: Kotoba Dan


Actress Kotoba Dan took time out from rehearsals of Takeshi Kawamura and John Jesurun's Distant Observer: Tokyo/New York Correspondence to answer our 6 Questions. You can see the world premiere of Distant Observer at The Ellen Stewart Theatre at La MaMa from March 16 - April 1, 2018.

1. Who do you play in Distant Observer?
The murdered girl’s sister, A woman who is thinking about committing suicide, a reporter.

2. What made you want to be a part of this project?
Since I am a NY-based actress/director who is originally from Japan, I was attracted to this project because this is a collaboration between Japanese playwright/director and American playwright/director!

3. What is your favorite part of (or favorite line from) the show?
One of my characters says, “I passed the baton to the dead guy.” in regards to running a relay race. I thought it was such a darkly humorous line.

4. What is the last good book you read (or film or theater piece or museum exhibit you saw)?
I saw Say Something Bunny! about two weeks ago. It was a totally new experience for me. I had never been a part of that type of immersive theater before.

5. Who inspires you?
I’m really inspired by everyone in my family. They have all taken very different paths in life. My dad is a prominent psychologist/political cartoonist while my older brother has started and runs 7 companies. My other brother is successful in finance and my mom was a pianist who guided 4 very different people.

6. What does working at La MaMa mean to you?
I’m new to La MaMa, but everyone has been so welcoming. It feels like I’m joining an acting laboratory. I am excited to rehearse everyday with such great people.


_____




La MaMa presents

Distant Observer: 

Tokyo/New York Correspondence



Written and Conceived by Takeshi Kawamura and John Jesurun
Translation by Aya Ogawa

Distant Observer: Tokyo/New York Correspondence is a collaboration between Japanese playwright/director Takeshi Kawamura and American playwright/director John Jesurun. The project is conceived as a play written and directed in collaborative partnership by both artists. Written in corresponding chapters by each playwright, it combines two established artists of the same generation, both with distinct voices and significant work, in a deep creative conversation across cultures.

CAST: 
Anastasia Olowin | Kotoba Dan | Claire Buckingham | Kyle Griffiths | Samuel Im

March 16, 2018 - April 1, 2018

The Ellen Stewart Theatre 
66 East 4th Street
(between Bowery and Second Avenue)
New York, NY 10003

Tickets: $25 Adults; $20 Students/Seniors; La MaMa's 10 @ $10 tickets available for all performances, while supplies last

For Tickets & Info: CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment