La MaMa Blogs: 6 Questions: Marco Antonio Rodriguez

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

6 Questions: Marco Antonio Rodriguez


Actor Marco Antonio Rodriguez took time out from rehearsals of Catherine Filloux's Kidnap Road to answer our 6 Questions.  Kidnap Road plays La MaMa's First Floor Theatre from April 27 - May 14, 2017.


1. Who do you play in Kidnap Road
MAN (various roles)

2. Did you do any research on the Ingrid Betancourt kidnapping or other research for this production? 
Absolutely. I did not know Ingrid's story before this production. I have read the book she wrote (Even Silence Has An End) watched several of her interviews and also watched a documentary on her bid for the presidency of Colombia. The kidnapping was horrible yet I was truly floored and fascinated by what happens to her after she is rescued. The country turns on her and many are divided in her opinions of her. This could easily be a two part play!

3. What is the most challenging part of this play? 
I play multiple characters. There are sections in the play where I go from one character to the next instantly... we're talking ruthless military man to young, caring lover.... in a split second! There is no time to think. No time to "transform" or "shift" into the next character. What director Elena Araoz keeps reminding me of is to immediately focus on the core, immediate need of what that character wants in that moment. This helps me step in, physically and emotionally, into the world... the TRUTH of the characters. It's actually quite beautiful not to have any time to get into your head. You do the work then just let instinct kick in. All you have is the truth of the moment.

4. Who inspires you? 
I'm also a writer so I am truly inspired by human behavior, animal behavior and nature. I can literally sit in a park for hours and just observe: People, animals, trees... Whenever I go to gatherings my favorite thing to do is sit in a corner and just observe. Taking a walk or hike also does wonders for my creativity. Also, seeing lots of different kinds of theater in different languages! One of my favorite things to do when I travel is going to the theater. 

5. What is your “dream roll”? 
I've been blessed and lucky to have played many of them. "Orlando" in The Conduct Of Life, "Oberon" in Midsummer Night's Dream"... Many of the roles I was lucky enough to do in new plays (whether readings or full productions) also turned out to be dream roles. "Nino" in Barceló On The Rocks, "Paco Escribano" in The Fall Of Rafael Trujillo... I would truly love to play Lady Macbeth some day. I connect with her need at a visceral level.

6. What does working at La MaMa mean to you? 
I grew up going to see shows at La Mama. It is where my love for experimental theater was born. For me, it is a coming home of sorts. The word "experimental" is interesting. The word is defined as untested ideas or techniques that have not yet been established or finalized. A work of art or an artistic technique involving a radically new and innovative style. Yet every time I've seen anything on a La Mama stage I've been far more captivated by the human truths and questions that force truth (from a different angle but truths nonetheless) rather than the experimental qualities of it.

_____



La MaMa presents
KIDNAP 
ROAD

Written by Catherine Filloux
Directed by Elena Araoz

April 27, 2017 - May 14, 2017
Thursday - Saturday at 7:30pm; Sunday at 2pm

The First Floor Theatre 
74A East 4th Street
(between Bowery and Second Avenue)
New York, NY 10003

Tickets: $20 Adults; $15 Students/Seniors

For Tickets and Info: CLICK HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment