La MaMa Blogs: Being a La MaMa Llama: Mollie Molumby

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Being a La MaMa Llama: Mollie Molumby

Being a La MaMa Llama!

Our experiences of working as summer interns at La MaMa


Above: J. Mehr Kaur, Mary Fulham and Mollie Molumby
outside The Ellen Stewart Theatre

Hi there! Mehr, Mary and Mollie here!

We are three students interning at La MaMa this summer. We decided to nick-name ourselves the La MaMa Llamas as, just like this wooly camelid from South America, we too are cuddly, domesticated and we travel in packs. (We are also quite partial to rhymes and hope that La MaMa interns will be Llamas for years to come.)

Let us tell you a little about ourselves and what interning at La MaMa means to us!


Mollie Molumby


I am from Dublin, Ireland. I was born here in New York but have lived in Ireland since I was a little baby! I’m studying Drama at Trinity College Dublin and am an aspiring actor and theatre-maker. I wanted to spend this summer interning in New York to gain experience and be inspired for my own future work. It has been a wonderful experience! Everyone here is so passionate about their work. I feel blessed to be surrounded by them.

I remember my first day of work. I was so shy! But everyone was so friendly and helpful and it wasn’t long before we were all getting along.
A week in, Ozzie gave a tour of the La MaMa archives. That was a really wonderful day for me! We got to see and experience so much of La MaMa’s history. I felt blessed to hear Ozzie’s stories about Ellen Stewart and the history of the theater.

La MaMa is such a friendly and nurturing environment. It’s exciting to see how its support can be felt by such a variety of artists, no matter the stage of their career.

If I could give any piece of advice to future theatre interns, it would be to make the most of every opportunity you are given. Be punctual, hard-working and above all, enjoy it! Interning at La MaMa has been such a great experience for me. I have learned so much and have loved every minute!




Keep an eye out for two more blogs chronicling the experiences of our summer interns, the La MaMa Llamas! If you are interested in applying for an internship at La MaMa send an e-mail with a resumé and cover letter to kate@lamama.orgSubmissions are accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment