La MaMa Blogs: 6 QUESTIONS: Miriam A. Hyman

Friday, September 5, 2014

6 QUESTIONS: Miriam A. Hyman


Miriam A. Hyman plays Miranda in the Karin Coonrod/Elizabeth Swados production of TEMPEST, beginning performances on October 2nd at The Ellen Stewart Theater.  Miriam took some time of from rehearsals to answer 6 QUESTIONS:

1. What about TEMPEST speaks to an audience today? 
There is a storm among us. Our country, the world is in such a violent state and it's people are battling disease, unreliable governments, homelessness, actual storms, teen pregnancy, corrupt police and oh so much more. It's in turmoil like the island of the Tempest and it's surrounding nations. My character Miranda operates from her heart chakra and is pained and sadden by death and loss but rejoices at love. If only we in today's society were more sensitive maybe we could love our kin and neighbors more and have a selfless approach to life. I think she sets a huge example for aspiring to be a more thoughtful, caring individual. Hope I do get justice. Big heart to fill.

2. What other roles in Shakespeare’s canon would you like to play? 
Cordelia and Reagan in Lear, Beatrice in Much Ado, Juliette in R&J maybe ;), Lady M in a full length production of MacBeth. I'm sure I'm leaving out someone.

3. How is doing a play by Shakespeare different than a contemporary role? 
The language is so thrilling to speak . I get goose bumps just thinking about it. Delicious words:)

4. Tell us about the last great book you read? 
It's called I am Not Sidney Poutier by Percival Everett. It's about a young man named I am Not Sidney Poutier who closely resembles Sidney Poutier and the challenges he faces. I highly recommend going on this Journey. It's filled with so much truth but yet it's a fictional comedy.

5. Who or what has influenced your work as an actor? 
Several of my acting and speech coaches in graduate school and professionally. Ron Van Lieu, Beth McGuire, Tina Packer, Andrew Wade, Cicely Berry, Peter Francis James, Evan Yionoulis, Walton Wilson. They guided me and my work to a more precise and specific form giving me freedom and fun with the text. With these "tools, not rules", I've found a constructive way into Shakespeare's great works.

6. What does working at La MaMa mean to you? 
It means, a collective ensemble mentality which I look for first and foremost in a company.



La MaMa presents
TEMPEST
directed by Karin Coonrod
music composed by Elizabeth Swados

October 2nd - November 2nd, 2014

The Ellen Stewart Theater
66 East 4th Street
(between Bowery and Second Avenue)
New York, NY 10003

Tickets: $40 Adults; $30 Students/Seniors; 10@$10 Tickets are sold out!
TEMPEST 3 Packages are available see all three Tempest productions this fall for only $60 (if purchased before 9/15).  Click Here for TEMPEST 3 Packages.

For Tickets and Info: CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment