La MaMa Blogs: 6 Questions for Hideki Noda of ONE GREEN BOTTLE

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

6 Questions for Hideki Noda of ONE GREEN BOTTLE


Renowned Japanese theater artist Hideki Noda comes to La MaMa with ONE GREEN BOTTLE.  Hideki wrote, directs and stars in the show that begins performances on February 29, 2020.  Hideki took time out from rehearsals in Japan to answer our 6 Questions about that show and working at La MaMa.


1. What inspired you to write ONE GREEN BOTTLE?
I wrote a sort of portrait of a disconnected family on a self-destructive course. It parallels to a portrait of our society that faces the issue about over consumerism and too much technology in a ‘selfie’ community.

2. What does the title mean?
The song of “One Green Bottle” shows that Ten green bottles hanging on the wall becomes no green bottle by accidentally falling one by one. When I listened to this song for the first time, I thought that it symbolizes our community all over the world. In an environmental way, a spiritual way and a physical way how many bottles are we diminishing form ten bottles to?

3. Who do you play in ONE GREEN BOTTLE?
I play a role of Boo.(the wife of this family)

4. Why is cross-gender casting important to the show?
Male actor can think of a role of female in a family and a society through a role of female he plays. And female actor vice versa.

5. What is the most difficult thing about directing a show you are also acting in? 
For instance, when I’m performing as an actor, I come up with the new idea as a director. I can’t stop the show. Then after the show, I totally forget the fantastic new idea as if you realize that you forget everything after you wake up when you believed you dreamt an amazing dream.

6. What does working at La MaMa mean to you?
My legend of the theatre, Shuji Terayama (Japanese director)’s production was performed at La MaMa. I have known the name of La MaMa since I was in my teens. Also, the name of La MaMa has been a legend for a long time. I feel so honored to perform at La MaMa.
_____



La MaMa in association with
Tokyo Metropolitan Theatre and NODA・MAP 
presents 


Written and Directed by Hideki Noda 
English Translation adapted by Will Sharpe 
Featuring: Hideki NodaLilo Baur and Glyn Pritchard 

February 29 - March 8, 2020 

Ellen Stewart Theatre 
66 East 4th Street 
(between Bowery and Second Avenue) 
New York, NY 10003 

Tickets: $35 Adult; $30 Student/Senior Tickets 

For Tickets and Info: CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment