La MaMa Blogs: 6 Questions: Anabella Lenzu

Monday, October 21, 2019

6 Questions: Anabella Lenzu




1. What is your role in Virgo Star? 
I am a performer, choreographer and collaborator. 

2. What can the audiences learn about love in Virgo Star? 
Love is inclusion, understanding, embracing differences, supporting and sustaining each other. That is what we practice in rehearsals and performances at Pioneers!!! 

3. How can you explode the myth of the American Cowboy? 
For me as an immigrant from Argentina, I had a lot of homework and research to understand this foreign concept. As part of my preparation, I saw at least 15 iconic western movies to grasp the context and culture. Aside from being a lot of fun, I learned a lot about the archetypal world of the American West. 

4. Have you learned anything new from this production? 
As a choreographer for my own company a guest choreographer for different theater and opera productions in NYC (since 2007), it has been a long time since I performed for someone else's show. It's a muscle that I forgot I have. Being in rehearsal with such a fun and creative group is stimulating and refreshing! 

5. Do you have a favorite Western movie? 
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. 

6. What does working at La MaMa mean to you? 
Working at La MaMa again is reaffirming my commitment with such an amazing community of artists and audiences. It's about belonging to a genealogical tree of artists that I have admired since I was young. Working at La MaMa saying yes to celebrating works that push the boundaries of language and culture and performing cutting-edge ideas.


--

Virgo Star
November 14 - December 01, 2019
$25 Tickets; $20 Student/Senior Tickets [+$1 Facility Fee]

World Premiere
By Pioneers Go East Collective

Virgo Star explores and explodes the myth of the American Cowboy. An underground, kinetic ride through the Cowboy myths performed from a queer perspective, this dance-theatre work fuses personal storytelling and movement to re-create scenes from Western Movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment