La MaMa Blogs: 6 QUESTIONS: INCOMING! - Lucy Alibar

Thursday, January 8, 2015

6 QUESTIONS: INCOMING! - Lucy Alibar


Playwright Lucy Alibar will read from her new work, THROW ME ON THE BURNPILE AND LIGHT ME UP, as part of the Under the Radar Festival's INCOMING! Series, in the First Floor Theatre at La MaMa, January 9: 5:30pm and 10pm, 2015. 

We asked her about the process of staging the "stories of a man, his family, his guns, and his burnpile."

1. What was the initial inspiration for THROW ME ON THE BURNPILE AND LIGHT ME UP and how have work-in-progress showings helped the piece evolve?

I've been talking - and mostly listening - to people about their experiences with parenthood for a while now. And I reread Tony Horwitz's brilliant "Confederates in the Attic", which had me thinking about the south and how we tell our own history. The way we mythologize ourselves and our land.

2. What do you find to be the pleasures and/or challenges of performing your own writing?

I love working on my feet so it's been a complete joy.

3. What is your collaboration with director Neel Keller like?

Neel makes me laugh every day, and reminds me to find the laughter in the piece.

4. Which artists in the UTR festival are you most excited to see -or- Can you tell us about a recent performance you saw that inspired you creatively?

I got to see 600 Highwaymen's invited rehearsal at the Sundance labs this winter. I was blown away by their work ethic, vulnerability, and heart.

5. What should audience members expect from this show?

Three pieces of Burnpile: the beginning, a piece somewhere in the middle, and a portion of the finale. About forty minutes. Some have been around for a year, some I'm still writing now. I'm looking forward to sharing where I am in the process.

6. What does working at La MaMa mean to you?

It's an honor to be able to work at such an incredible place!

(Interview by Sam Alper)
____________________________________________________________________________



La MaMa presents:

INCOMING! - Lucy Alibar: Throw me on the burnpile and light me up

January 9, 2015 | 5:30pm & 10pm


Co-presented by Under the Radar Festival and La MaMa

First Floor Theatre @ La MaMa
74a East 4th Street
(Between Bowery and Second Avenue)
New York, NY 10003
Tickets: $18 Adults; $13 Students/Seniors.

For Tickets and Info: CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment