La MaMa Blogs: 6 Questions: Miki Orihara - La MaMa Moves! Dance Festival

Friday, May 9, 2014

6 Questions: Miki Orihara - La MaMa Moves! Dance Festival

Orihara in a previous Martha Graham performance: Photo by John Deane

This is a weekend of firsts for Miki Orihara, a principal dancer of The Martha Graham Company - her first solo concert and the first performance of her own choreography. In between rehearsals for Resonance: Miki Orihara Solo Concert, she answered our 6 questions. Performances are May 8-11.

1. What is it like to perform pieces by multiple choreographers in one evening?
It is a big challenge since each style is distinctly different. 

2. Are there any common theme running through the pieces you'll be performing?
The works are in Chronological order, from 1932 to the present. I start by featuring Martha Graham mischeviousness, José Limón's wildness and Martha Clarke's wit, showing the less usually seen sides of these composers. So that is a theme. Adam Barruch's work is somehow similar to the others, which happened coincidently. 


3. Your solo concert aims to "inspire the next phase of modern dance" - What might that phase look like?
I want to share my idea of modern dance, which is contemporary. There should be no boundaries between modern dance and contemporary dance. If the dance can reach people, that should be it.


4. How have the stylistically diverse choreographers you've worked with influenced your own work as a choreographer?
Every performance I am inspired by a different style, a different point of view, a different movement... All the choreographers I've worked with have influenced my work as a dancer and as a choreographer. 

5. Which artist(s) in the festival are you most excited to see?
Actually, all of them!

6. What does performing at La MaMa mean to you?
I have seen a lot of performances at La MaMa. My first experience in the Ellen Stewart Theatre, where I am performing, was seeing Kazuo Ohno. La MaMa has been supporting so many interesting artist that I admire. It is hard to believe that I am having my concert here. It is a dream come true event for me!!! Thank you La MaMa!!!


La MaMa Moves! Dance Festival presents

Resonance: Miki Orihara Solo Concert

May 8 -11, 2014
Thur - Sat: 7:30pm / Sun: 2:30pm

Tickets: $20 Adults; $15 Students/Seniors

The Ellen Stewart Theatre
66 East 4th Street
(between Bowery and 2nd Avenue)
New York, NY 10003

Tickets and Info: CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment